Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Who am I as a Consumer

A photo posted by Austin Finch (@finch.austin) on

Perhaps this is how I should have started my blog, but it's too late to change that now. First of all, my name is Austin Finch! I'm a 21-year-old in my fourth year at Montana State University in Bozeman, Montana. I'm studying Business Management and Marketing with a minor in Small Business Management and Entrepreneurship. For this blog my plan is to talk a little about myself and my interests and how I see marketing relating to my everyday life.

I count myself fortunate enough to grow up in Small Town, USA (Dillon, Montana) where my parents own and operate a medium-sized cattle ranch. I've never had any interest in running the family business, but I do think that having grown up around a small business that my father built from the ground up certainly has inspired me to own my own business one day.

A photo posted by Austin Finch (@finch.austin) on

Having grown up on a ranch and in a town revolving around agriculture, I'm very susceptible to advertising and marketing focused on that kind of lifestyle. Ads such as Ram's "Farmer" commercial from the Super Bowl a couple of years ago really grab my attention as that lifestyle is still near and dear to my heart. Although I no longer live that lifestyle anymore, I still love country music and wear "cowboy jeans".



I've always loved sports but my main passions have always been skiing and football. Although I no longer play football, I still keep very up to date on all levels of the sport from high school to the pros. As a result, I've always been a strong supporter of everything Nike. If I was only allowed to wear a single brand for the rest of my life, without question it would be Nike. Recently I've begun to get into the streetwear scene with brands like Stüssy, Obey, Pink Dolphin, and others. I'm a very big fan of the sportswear and skate feel many of this style, as well as how easy it is to dress sharp while also staying minimalistic as far as colors and accessories.

Now that I'm no longer involved in organized sports I spend a lot of time in the outdoors doing things like skiing and fishing. When it comes to skiing and choosing equipment, I've noticed an interesting trend in myself. I often am attracted to smaller less established companies solely because they are the small companies that aren't mainstream. Although this doesn't apply to my choices of fly fishing gear, nearly half of my ski's and other ski equipment comes from brands that would be considered outside of the mainstream.

A photo posted by Austin Finch (@finch.austin) on

1 comment: