Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 18, 2016

What is the MINDSPACE Framework? Pt.2


Last week we discussed M through D of the MINDSPACE framework and analyzed how each piece can be applied to my own life. This week I'll continue the theme by analyzing S through E.

Salience:

Brand salience is a very important part of modern marketing. A brands salience is a function of the customer's memory of the brand and the associations that they have with it. A great example of salience in my life is the association that I have with McDonalds. For me, McDonalds has such a high brand salience from its marketing campaigns and general popularity, that when I think of fast food the first thing that comes to mind is a McDonalds Double Quarter Pounder. Nike has very similar brand salience for me in that when I think of running I immediately picture a Nike advertisement. If a brand can achieve very high brand salience with a customer, the more likely that customer is to think of the brand when they choose to buy.

Priming: 

Priming is the idea that different environmental factors can influence the decisions that a customer makes. In my life, the place where I most aware of priming is in convenience stores. Many gas stations and convenience stores intentionally place their salty snacks near the beverage section to encourage customers to purchase these items together. Grocery stores and convenience stores also place many of their small items such as gum or candy near the register to encourage customers to add these items to their purchase as they check out. 

Affect:

Affect can be described as a quick "gut" reaction that is made as an immediate reaction to an event of some kind. In marketing, this is demonstrated by the willingness of an individual to immediately purchase an umbrella after being caught in a rainstorm. In this case, it may have been wiser to purchase a waterproof jacket because it is more functional, but because of the recent traumatic event the customer experienced, they instead choose the umbrella because of a "gut" reaction.

Commitments:

Commitment devices are very common in the health and exercise industry. Because many people know that they may not be motivated to persist with their workout program or diet, it's not uncommon for individuals to invest money in expensive diet programs, gym memberships, or workout equipment in an effort to motivate themselves to get the most out of the money they have already spent. I'm guilty of this in my own life as I have purchased expensive camping equipment in order to motivate myself to make more time to camp. Unfortunately, it didn't work and has sat idle in my closet most of the summer.

Ego:

Ego is the final piece of the MINDSPACE framework. Ego is what influences many people to purchase luxury items that they may not need. If I was to decide that I need a new pair of dress shoes, I would be likely to purchase an expensive pair of Allen Edmonds even though a much cheaper pair may work just as well, solely because I feel that I deserve the more expensive model.

For more information on the MINDSPACE framework and the ideas behind it check out The Mindspace Framework.

No comments:

Post a Comment